Dollar

Dollar
In Memory of Cee Kay Sash "Dollar" June 7, 1992 - June 8, 2012

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Walking and Lunging

Finally got out to see my Old Man today after work. It turned out that my Dad was heading to the barn as well (his horse Sue is there for training), so I hitched a ride with him and got to the barn around 5:30. Remember the last post in which I said that I wouldn't be riding for a long time? Well it turns out that I'm PREGNANT!! Hence the no riding part. Yeah I know, suspension, eh? The bright side is that I'm allowed to sit on him and walk. But I'm OK with that. D can have this year being semi-retired. Lol.

Photobucket
Dollar waiting patiently for me :)


So when we got to the barn, I walked out to the pasture, grabbed him and lead him inside and threw my tack on him to do some walk work. Got in the arena pretty quickly and started our walk work, just keeping it simple. We just walked around and worked on his collection and stretching so that he could strengthen up his top line. Of course, after half hour of doing this, he was sweaty. I think the King if out of shape, And since I really wanted to do some faster work with him, I untacked him and then hooked him onto the lunge line and did more work like that.

And found out that apparently my 20-year-old Old Man was feeling like a 2-year-old * shake head * He was doing pretty good trotting around, but had a kind of snarky attitude today. And then when I asked him to canter, he let out a HUGE BUCK and went cantering around. So I asked him for a bit more speed and flicked the whip at who and he let out another buck. That's when I asked him to just keep putting speed on because I wasn't tolerating this from him. He knows better.

Once he calmed down, I turned him around and went the other way. He did pretty good, but still bucked when I asked him to lope. Sigh Old Man. After I was done lunging him (and my arm/fingers hurting because he pulled quite good in his bucks), I brought him back to the cross ties, brushed him down and let him cool off a bit before kicking him outside. I guess I have to find other ways of getting him into shape....

Photobucket
The sweaty mess after our "work out"

No comments:

Post a Comment