Dollar

Dollar
In Memory of Cee Kay Sash "Dollar" June 7, 1992 - June 8, 2012

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Riding the Boys and Frustrations

Finally, got out to ride again today! Seeing as it was pretty nice outside, I decided to ride Reno and Dollar today. And this is sad to say, but I don't remember the last time that I rode Reno, probably in Fall. Ouch. I made a quick stop by Timmie's to grab some tea and then headed to the barn. Oh, and as forewarning, if they screw-up your order over the speaker phone, check your coffee before you leave the serving window. I should've.

So once I got to my Dad's place, I headed to the back and grabbed the barrel reins to ride. And then took a sip of my “tea.” It wasn't tea, it was COFFEE!! I DON'T DRINK COFFEE!! Fxck! That irked me. And can't do anything about it right now. So then I went and grabbed Dollar and Reno from the holding pen. I opted to ride Reno first and get him done with and then spend time with Dollar. I grabbed the barrel reins, clipped them onto Reno's halter, brought him up to the fence and proceeded to try to hop on. Obviously he hasn't been ridden bareback for a while because he wouldn't stand still at the fence for me to hop on. With much patience, I finally got him close enough to the fence to jump on. Sigh.


Photobucket
The kids waiting for me

Photobucket
Sue

Photobucket
Reno looking none too happy

I couldn't do much work with him because our arena is just covered in snow and a lot of it is really deep because the horses aren't allowed in the arena that much. So we were only able to use about ½ the arena due to all the snow. He actually behaved quite well, for not being ridden in a while and being in halter and lead rope. Quite impressed. We kept to walking around because I know that with him, you don't really have control unless you have a bridle on him. One of the only problems we had was that he didn't want to stand still. Dollar was in the arena by the manger eating hay, so of course, Reno's attention was elsewhere. So I stopped him on the rail at the opposite end and made him stand there. He wasn't too happy about that and proceeded to start pawing away (maybe his way to China). So every time he started pawing, I'd kick his shoulder with my leg. He pretty soon got the idea that maybe we should just stand here and wait for Mom's signal before moving. Some days he's a smart horse. I continued just working him at a walk and called it a day after about 15 minutes. It was pretty cold outside and I still wanted to play with the Old Man.

Photobucket
Reno showing me that he can flex!

Photobucket
The view from Reno

Photobucket
The gate that Mars wrecked

So I hopped off of Reno, let him loose in the arena, put the barrel reins on Dollar and brought him up to the fence to hop on. Apparently, he was watching Reno before and figured that it would be a good idea to move away from the fence as soon as I had one leg over him. So I'm hanging on the fence with one leg, have one leg over him and trying to pull him closer to the fence so that I could get on. Nope. So I jumped (fell?) off of him, gave him a good smack because he knows better, got him closer to the fence and tried again.

This time he stayed near to the fence so that I could get on properly. Once I was on fully, we got to doing a bit of work. We did some walk/trot work and worked some more on our straight lines. I really can't wait for Spring to come, so that I can actually do some proper work again! After about 15 minutes on him, I decided to call it quits and bring him into the barn to play.

Photobucket
Dollar not looking too enthused

Once we got in the barn, I tied him up and grabbed his treats so that I could work on his “no” trick. He actually seems to be catching on more and more with it. It only took about 2 reminders about what he was supposed to do, before doing it when I asked for it. And he even did it quite a few times when I asked him for it without reminders! I think it was the treats that had him going. Lol.

After we were done working on our trick, I loved him up and tried to take some photos of him in his new halter. Again, not having it. Sigh. He loves my camera, but when I try to model something on him, he doesn't stand for it. Don't worry, I will keep trying.

So after the fail of no halter photos, I kicked him outside and put both him and Reno back into the holding pen with the rest of the kids. I grabbed my English saddle to take home for cleaning and also grabbed his blanket that he nicely ripped up so that I could try to fix it. I loaded everything into my car and headed for home.

And this is where shit hits the fan. I was about 1 mile from my Dad's place, when he called me and bitched me out for not coming in the house and saying hi. Excuse me?? The house was completely dark and I didn't see anyone walking around in the house. Yeah, I didn't check the house or garage, but SO WHAT?? I'm going to get bitched out and yelled at over the phone because I didn't come in the house 1 TIME?? WTF?? I was in complete tears because of what my Dad was doing, and completely furious. There was no reason for that. None at all. Because now I felt like complete shit.

So I went back to Timmie's, got my tea made right this time and called my Mom to complain about Dad. And she felt bad that he did that, but she has no control over him anymore because they split almost 2 months ago. Yup, fxcked up family. So then I went home and started contemplating having Dollar moved. I really want to because I'm getting tired of all this bullshit that keeps happening at my Dad's place and that I keep getting bitched out for nothing.

Sigh. I'm hoping to find a solution soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment