Dollar

Dollar
In Memory of Cee Kay Sash "Dollar" June 7, 1992 - June 8, 2012

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Hacking and Winterizing

Another lazy day today. I did have plans to go ride both my horses, but as always, plans never really work out. I was getting ready to leave my house when my Dad called, asking me to do some stuff for him on the interwebz. Turns out that his "stuff" took me close to an hour to do. Not happy.

After all the stuff was done, I quickly high-tailed it out to my parens place to quickly ride the Old Man. Got there in no time and went out into pasture to find him. Luckily as I was walking out there and calling his name, he started coming towards me, therefore no need to hunt for him (sorry to make you jealous Kelly!).

I quickly got him tacked up and headed out for a 2-mile hack, seeing as I didn't have time to do a 4-mile. Grr... He did pretty good throughout the 2 miles, but I could tell that his steroid shots had worn off. He was weezing at the trot, but it also doesn't help that he has a nice big grass belly on him. I really do need to come out more often and ride him. Stupid work. I did get him loping about 1/4 mile, and as usual, he was lazy.

Out on our hack

Once we got back home, I untacked him and got to work winterizing his tail. I'm trying to make it grow longer, but with him living in the bush, it's not working. That and I'm not down there everyday to comb it out. although I do everytime I ride. My friend Kelly had given me a good idea on how to winterize his tail.

Basically it was to put leave-in conditioner in there, comb it out to get rid of all the dreadlocks, braid it like normal and then wrap it up in vet wrap. Sounded simple enough. So I did. And yes, that is purple vet wrap. I made sure that it wasn't tight around the tail bone and I'm hoping that it will stay on.

The newly winterized tail. Lol. Love the purple.

After I was done with his tail, I decided to take some photos of how his feet are looking. It's been about a month and a half since his trim and they're looking really good. See for yourself!! The only crappy thing is that it's been really wet out here adn he's out in pasture, so it's not the most ideal conditions for his feet, but it's all I have.
Left front

Left back

Right bck

Right front

Sigh....gotta love my old man. Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment