Dollar

Dollar
In Memory of Cee Kay Sash "Dollar" June 7, 1992 - June 8, 2012

Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Little Hack

Had the day off today and seeing as my Dad and sister Sam weren't going to CWHA finals, me and Sam decided to go for a ride.

Had to make a quick stop at the pasture where Dollar was because we moved them, but my stuff was still there. So I grabbed my stuff and then went to my parents place. Sam and Dad had just gotten home, so while they were busy unloading the trailer from the show yesterday, I went into a different pasture and brought out Dollar and Mars. * sigh* Dollar's getting a grass belly. I kinda giggled when I saw him and called him Fatty McFatso. Lol. Oh well, he'll be going on a hay diet soon. That should help. He's on grass 24/7 so no wonder he's got a grass belly. So does Mars, and Reno.

Got the two out that we needed and closed the gate. Sam was coming out to bring water to the horses (the horse to the water tub is shot) and so as I was closing the fence (it's a stubborn one), Sam grabbed D & M and took them back. Actually she grabbed Mars while Dollar decided to walk himself to the barn, promptly away from Sam. She was yelling at him to stop, but he had her on ignore and just kept walking. Oh boy. Sam caught him and then I grabbed him and brought him up to the barn.

Started getting him ready to ride and noticed that he was breathing a bit heavy today. I let him stand there for a bit while I grabbed his bridle and his bit from the tack box. Remember when I changed the bit last time. Well it turns out that the bit was way to big for him, so I found a dog-bone snaffle that fits him perfectly. While I was changing the bits around, my nephew Brody came up to me and asked to sit on Dollar. So of course, like a good Aunt, I obliged....

Yes, I'm teaching him young. Lol. Don't worry. He's already learning how to ride and has his own Western saddle already. Once I got him off, I continued to switch the bits and finish getting Dollar ready for our ride. Once we were ready, I hopped on Dollar and we headed off down the road.

We were going to do a 4-mile ride, but Dollar was breathing heavy and being really picky over the rocks, unlike last time. He was actually fighting me to go into the ditch because he was starting to stumble on the rocks a bit. When we got about 1 mile into our ride (coming up to an intersection), I stopped him, hopped off and took a look at all his feet to see if there were any rocks in there. There was nothing, so I told Sam that we'll cut it down to a 2-mile hack instead because Dollar wasn't doing good.

We basically walk/jogged the rest of the ride home. Sam turned around when we got about 1/2 mile from home to take Mars for a run. Dollar didn't even bat an eye at him.  Got home all safe and sound and checked his feet over again. Nothing in there, so I'm guessing that his feet are just a little sore. Untacked him and gave him his grain and some supplements and then kicked him back out into pasture. Hopefully I can get out to ride again soon....

2 comments:

  1. Well at least you and Sam seem to be getting along better.

    And hey we're convinced two of my mares are pregnant so far we have not gotten a straight out "nah, there's no way they can be pregnant" that SCARES ME! LOL

    sometimes when they're barefoot they seem to have good days and bad days. Maybe today was just a bad day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We geta long better when we're not at shows. Then we're not tempted to kill each other.

    And as for the barefoot issue.....I'm thinking of buying Hoof Boots to help him. The only problem is that they're $$$$.

    ReplyDelete